Inappropriate delay of establishing a surgical definitive airway with a cricothyrotomy has been documented in field and hospital operations1,2. This can be attributed to many factors including:
- Failure to recognize Can’t Intubate-Can’t Ventilate scenario.
- Not appreciating the seriousness of patient condition after multiple failed endotracheal intubation attempts.
- Overdependence on endotracheal intubation adjuncts including video laryngoscopy, supraglottic airways, intubating endoscopes, gum-elastic bougie.
- Reluctance to proceed to invasive surgical procedure.
- Inexperience with surgical cricothyrotomy.